Documentation Needed to Apply
- CPT Authorization Request Form.
- CPT Online Workshop Completion Email.
- Academic/Faculty Advisor Recommendation Form for CPT.
- Detailed training description from your company/employer meeting all criteria outlined below.
- Photocopy of your current I-20.
- 1 Can I use CPT for summer internship?
- 2 How do I get a job with CPT?
- 3 When should I apply for CPT?
- 4 Can I do an unpaid internship without CPT?
- 5 Does CPT have to be an internship?
- 6 Is CPT only for internships?
- 7 Can graduate students do CPT?
- 8 Is CPT sponsorship?
- 9 How many hours can CPT work?
- 10 Who is eligible for CPT exam?
- 11 Are unpaid interns legal?
- 12 Does volunteering count as CPT?
- 13 Can I volunteer while waiting for EAD?
Can I use CPT for summer internship?
Curricular practical training (CPT) is a full-time or part-time training opportunity available during the school year or annual summer vacation. Summer internships require authorization if you are working and training in a position where the organization would usually hire and pay someone.
How do I get a job with CPT?
To be eligible for CPT employment:
- You must have been enrolled in school full-time for one year on valid F1 status (except for graduate students where the program requires immediate CPT)
- The CPT employment must be an integral part of your degree program or requirement for a course for which you receive academic credit.
When should I apply for CPT?
Generally, it is best to apply for CPT authorization no later than 2-4 weeks prior to the start of employment to ensure ISSS has sufficient time to process your request. When you apply, you must be able to demonstrate you will continue to work towards your degree.
Can I do an unpaid internship without CPT?
CPT (Curricular Practical Training) Though having a CPT /OPT is not mandatory for an unpaid internship, it is highly advisable. This will help in demonstrating that this employment is a part of the curriculum.
Does CPT have to be an internship?
CPT is defined as employment which is an integral part of an established curriculum, including: “alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.” Source: [8 CFR 214.2(f
Is CPT only for internships?
CPT authorization is only required when the training is inside the United States. For example, a summer internship in a student’s home country does not need CPT authorization.
Can graduate students do CPT?
CPT. CPT is integral to your major and the experience must be part of your program of study. When you enroll at the graduate level, your designated school official (DSO) may authorize CPT during your first semester if your program requires this type of experience. You can work on CPT either full-time or part-time.
Is CPT sponsorship?
No employer sponsorship needed, but the application does require the employer to provide a CPT letter. Students must be enrolled full-time for one academic year before they can apply. CPT can only be used before a student completes their degree/graduates. Student must have a job offer before they can apply.
How many hours can CPT work?
There is no limitation on the length of time you may participate in part-time CPT but you must be careful to limit your work to no more than 20 hours per week. Exception: You may work full-time during official school breaks (i.e., annual vacation and other times when school is not in session).
Who is eligible for CPT exam?
Students who have completed two years of higher education including Diploma course after passing 10th class, conducted either by Central/ State Government(s) and on passing such a course have either been admitted to first year of graduation course or have passed the graduation course conducted by any University,
Are unpaid interns legal?
Unpaid internships are legal if the intern is the “primary beneficiary” of the arrangement. If an employer is the primary beneficiary, the intern is considered an employee under the Fair Labor Standards Act and entitled to minimum wage.
Does volunteering count as CPT?
Do I need CPT? NO: CPT is not required is you are volunteering with a non-profit organization. If you are offered a volunteer position with a for-profit company, you will need to apply for CPT authorization.
Can I volunteer while waiting for EAD?
You cannot legally volunteer. When your EAD is expiring, you are prohibited from volunteering.