In perfect time for Thanksgiving, Hayat Muhammed, a TWU Dietetics Student at TWU, has shared her delicious recipe: Vegan Cornbread!
1. 2 Tablespoons ground flax seeds
2. 6 Tablespoons water
3. 1 cup all-purpose flour
4. 1 cup cornmeal
5. 1/4 cup sugar
6. 4 teaspoons baking powder
7. 3/4 teaspoon table salt
8. 1cup soymilk
9. 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Spray 8-inch-square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Add the ground flax seed, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer the ground flax seed in the water for 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well-combined.
- Add the ground flax seed mixture, soy milk, and canola oil to the flour mixture.
- Beat just until smooth (do not overbeat.)
- Turn into prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes; invert cornbread onto wire rack, then turn right side up and continue to cool until warm, about 10 minutes longer.